This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 70-year-old woman who experiences frequent leg pain due to sciatica tells her nurse, I've been ... (Read 61 times)

c0205847

A 70-year-old woman who experiences frequent leg pain due to sciatica tells her nurse, I've been hearing a lot about how well acupuncture works for chronic pain and I think I might give it a try..

How can the nurse best respond to the woman's statement? A) That sounds like an excellent idea and I'd encourage you to go ahead with it..
  B) Before you begin the treatment it's likely best to get your physician's permission..
  C) A lot of these types of treatments are unproven and even dangerous, so be very careful..
  D) Perhaps I can tell you about the risks, benefits, and limitations of acupuncture first..

Question 2

The nurse identifies the nursing diagnosis of Ineffective tissue perfusion related to decreased arterial blood flow for a patient with chronic arterial insufficiency.

In evaluating the patient outcomes after patient teaching, which statement by the patient does the nurse recognize as indicating a need for further instruction? a. For about 40 minutes each day, I will walk to the point of pain, then rest, than walk again until I develop pain.
  b. I will drink hot coffee several times a day to increase the circulation and warmth in my feet.
  c. I will wear loose clothing that doesn't bind across my legs or waist.
  d. I will change my position every hour and avoid long periods of sitting with my legs down.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

popopong

Answer to Question 1

D
A role of gerontological nurses is to inform clients about the risks, benefits, and limitations of complementary therapies. This exchange should precede a recommendation to begin therapy. A physician's order or permission is not required and a blanket denunciation of complementary therapies would be inaccurate.

Answer to Question 2

B
Avoiding vasoconstriction from nicotine, caffeine, and stress is an important precaution for patients with decreased arterial blood flow.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Children of people with alcoholism are more inclined to drink alcohol or use hard drugs. In fact, they are 400 times more likely to use hard drugs than those who do not have a family history of alcohol addiction.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library