This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements by older adult clients should the nurse interpret as a potential ... (Read 37 times)

vicotolentino

Which of the following statements by older adult clients should the nurse interpret as a potential pathological process rather than a normal age-related change?

A) Food just doesn't seem to have as much taste as it did when I was younger..
  B) I feel like it takes so much longer to digest my meals than it used to..
  C) Even when I have a bowel movement it often doesn't feel like it's complete..
  D) I tend to regurgitate a lot of my food after a meal these days..

Question 2

A patient, age 89, has had a right below-the-knee amputation. He is progressing well but continues to complain of pain in the toes on his right foot. The physician told him that he is suffering from phantom pain in his amputated extremity.

He asks the nurse to explain phantom pain. The most appropriate response would be a. Phantom pain does not exist except in your mind.
  b. I can't answer that. You'll have to ask the physician.
  c. Phantom pain occurs because the nerve tracts that register pain in the amputated limb continue to send a message to the brain.
  d. Phantom pain occurs when you start thinking about your loss. It's best to keep your mind occupied with other things.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pikon

Answer to Question 1

D
Regurgitation is indicative of GERD or a hiatal hernia. Decreased taste sensation, lower gastric motility, and incomplete bowel movements are considered normal, age-related changes.

Answer to Question 2

C
Phantom pain (pain felt in the missing extremity as if it were still present) may occur and be frightening to the patient. Phantom pain occurs because the nerve tracts that register pain in the amputated area continue to send a message to the brain (this is normal).

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Congestive heart failure is a serious disorder that carries a reduced life expectancy. Heart failure is usually a chronic illness, and it may worsen with infection or other physical stressors.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library