This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is discussing sexual activity with older adults in a wellness clinic. Which of the following ... (Read 40 times)

bb

A nurse is discussing sexual activity with older adults in a wellness clinic. Which of the following statements by an individual indicates a need for further exploration?

A) I know my diabetes can affect my sexual activity.
  B) My husband has an enlarged prostate.
  C) I use Premarin cream to help with vaginal dryness.
  D) I will not use petroleum jelly as a lubricant.

Question 2

A 64-year-old man had a myocardial infarction (MI) 2 months ago. He has recovered to the point that he is able to climb up two flights of stairs, but he and his spouse have not resumed sexual relations.

Which of the following responses by the nurse is most appropriate?

A) Is angina interfering with your sexual functioning?
  B) This lack of libido is caused by vasoconstriction in the genital area.
  C) You are safe to have sex; you can resume sexual relations when you desire.
  D) You may have a problem with retrograde ejaculation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

moormoney

Answer to Question 1

Ans: B
The husband's prostate problem can affect his sexual performance and needs further exploration. Premarin cream helps when vaginal dryness occurs because of estrogen withdrawal. Diabetes has an effect on vaginal lubrication. Petroleum jelly increases risk for infection.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
Even when no physiologic basis exists for abstaining from sexual intercourse after an MI, sexual activity is often limited or absent because of fatigue, depression, diminished sexual desire, and fears and anxiety of the person or the sexual partner. Diabetes can cause retrograde ejaculation. An MI does not cause vasoconstriction.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

Did you know?

Chronic marijuana use can damage the white blood cells and reduce the immune system's ability to respond to disease by as much as 40%. Without a strong immune system, the body is vulnerable to all kinds of degenerative and infectious diseases.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library