This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse on an acute care for elders (ACE) unit monitors clients for functional consequences of ... (Read 32 times)

OSWALD

A nurse on an acute care for elders (ACE) unit monitors clients for functional consequences of depression. Which of the following statements by a client is of highest priority for follow-up?

A) I can't shake this feeling that I've got a cloud hanging over me these days.
  B) I feel like I've got no appetite these days and it takes everything in me just to eat a little meal.
  C) I used to be a powerhouse of energy when I was younger, and now all I can do is sit in a chair.
  D) I think it would be better for everyone if I wasn't here anymore.

Question 2

An older adult is admitted to the hospital with weight loss and cognitive impairment. To assist in the diagnosis of major depressive disorder, for which of the following should the nurse assess? (Select all that apply.)

A) Decreased deep tendon reflexes
  B) Loss of interest or pleasure
  C) Psychomotor agitation
  D) Respiratory difficulty
  E) Sleep disturbances

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahnyah

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
All of these statements may be indicative of depression, but an allusion to suicide always constitutes the priority for further follow-up.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B, C, E
Diagnostic criterion for major depression includes depressed mood and/or loss of interest or pleasure along with at least five of the following signs and symptoms: weight loss, appetite change, sleep disturbances, observable, psychomotor agitation or retardation (i.e., slowness), fatigue or loss of energy, feeling worthless or excessively guilty, cognitive impairment, and recurrent thoughts of death or suicide. It does not include deep tendon reflexes or respiratory difficulty.

OSWALD

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
:D TYSM

smrtceo

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

More than 34,000 trademarked medication names and more than 10,000 generic medication names are in use in the United States.

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library