This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements by residents of a nursing home should prompt a nurse to assess for ... (Read 49 times)

Zulu123

Which of the following statements by residents of a nursing home should prompt a nurse to assess for depression?

A) Lately I wake up for the day at 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning and can't fall asleep again.
  B) I've got these cravings for sugary and salty snacks more than I used to.
  C) I've never been too prone to headaches, but these days I always seem to have one.
  D) I don't know why this sore on my ankle just won't heal this time.

Question 2

An older adult has been accompanied by an adult child to visit a primary care provider. The child has expressed concern about the client's increasing apathy, isolation, and apparent sadness over the past several months;

and the client acknowledges many of the symptoms of depression. Which of the following assessments should the nurse prioritize?

A) Functional assessment
  B) Medication assessment
  C) Musculoskeletal assessment
  D) Cardiovascular assessment

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

snackralk

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Early morning waking is a sleep disturbance that is characteristic of depression. Headaches and impaired healing may also be linked with depression, but sleep disturbances are more highly associated with the problem. Food cravings are not typical of depression in older adults.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: B
Medications may be risk factors for depression in numerous ways. A functional assessment is necessary, but this is more likely to ascertain the effects, rather than causes, of her depression. Musculoskeletal and cardiovascular assessments are secondary.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

Did you know?

Historic treatments for rheumatoid arthritis have included gold salts, acupuncture, a diet consisting of apples or rhubarb, nutmeg, nettles, bee venom, bracelets made of copper, prayer, rest, tooth extractions, fasting, honey, vitamins, insulin, snow collected on Christmas, magnets, and electric convulsion therapy.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library