This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult's diagnosis of sleep apnea is supported by nursing assessment and history data that ... (Read 21 times)

SAVANNAHHOOPER23

An older adult's diagnosis of sleep apnea is supported by nursing assessment and history data that include: (Select all that apply.)

a. followed a vegetarian diet for last 28 years.
  b. male gender.
  c. a smoking history of 1 pack a day for 45 years.
  d. 30 pounds over ideal weight.
  e. history of Crohn's disease.

Question 2

An older patient asks a nurse, I really have trouble sleeping and my doctor does not want to prescribe a sleeping pill for me. He says they are not good for older people. I really don't under-stand his response. Can you help me?

The best response by the nurse is:
  a. Sleeping medications have many adverse effects in older people and only have minimal effects in improving sleep.
  b. Prescription sleeping medications have many adverse effects in older people. Why don't you try using an over-the-counter medication?
  c. Sleeping medications do not provide any improvement in sleep for older people.
  d. Sleep problems are common in older peo-ple. There really is nothing that you can do to help with that.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mrphibs

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B, C, D
Rest factors for sleep apnea include being male, a smoking habit, and excess weight. There is no current research to support a connection between a vegetarian diet (possible low protein) or Crohn's disease to the development of sleep apnea.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Adverse effects of sleep medications, including over-the-counter medications, include problems with daily function, changes in mental status, motor vehicle accidents, daytime drowsiness, and increased risk of falls with only minimum improvement in sleep. Sleep problems are common in older adults; however, there are many nonpharmacologic interventions that can be utilized to im-prove sleep.

SAVANNAHHOOPER23

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Wow, this really help

Jossy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

Since 1988, the CDC has reported a 99% reduction in bacterial meningitis caused by Haemophilus influenzae, due to the introduction of the vaccine against it.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library