This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: When assessing the patient's vision, the nurse should understand that older adults may report common ... (Read 23 times)

Tazate

When assessing the patient's vision, the nurse should understand that older adults may report common aging changes, including which of the following? (Select all that apply.)

a. My eyelids droop so unattractively.
  b. The whites on my eyes seem a bit yel-low.
  c. The vision in my right eye seems blurry.
  d. I've started to use over-the-counter eye moisturizing drops.
  e. I have noticed the night driving has be-come more difficult.

Question 2

A patient with glaucoma is on timolol (Timoptic). The patient also takes metoprolol (Toprol) for hypertension. The patient reports to the clinic nurse that the eyedrops Make me dizzy. What assessment by the nurse is most appropriate?

a. Assess the patient's eyedrop instillation technique.
  b. Determine how long the patient has been on the drops.
  c. Assess the patient's gait and balance while walking.
  d. Ask the patient if breakfast is eaten prior to applying the eyedrops.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tennis14576

Answer to Question 1

A, B, D, E
The eyelids lose tone and become lax, which may result in ptosis of the eyelids, redundancy of the skin of the eyelids, and malposition of the eyelids. The conjunctiva thins and yellows in ap-pearance. In addition, this membrane may become dry because of the diminished quantity and quality of tear production. Peripheral vision decreases, night vision diminishes, and sensitivity to glare increases.

Answer to Question 2

A
The patient should be using punctal occlusion (closing the lacrimal duct) when instilling these eyedrops to avoid a cumulative, systemic effect from the combination of both beta-blockers. The nurse can assess the other factors as well, but this is the most likely cause of the dizziness.

Tazate

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Excellent

kishoreddi

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

Glaucoma is a leading cause of blindness. As of yet, there is no cure. Everyone is at risk, and there may be no warning signs. It is six to eight times more common in African Americans than in whites. The best and most effective way to detect glaucoma is to receive a dilated eye examination.

Did you know?

Blood is approximately twice as thick as water because of the cells and other components found in it.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library