This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse has provided discharge teaching for an older adult patient who had a pacemaker implanted. ... (Read 35 times)

pepyto

A nurse has provided discharge teaching for an older adult patient who had a pacemaker implanted. Which statement by the patient indicates appropriate understanding of the device?

a. The battery will need charging every 2 years or so.
  b. I'm supposed to call my doctor if my pulse is within 10 beats of my preset rate.
  c. My wife will have to be the one who makes the microwave popcorn.
  d. I'll take my pulse each morning before my first cup of coffee.

Question 2

The nurse observes signs that a patient being assessed may have an underactive thyroid. The data supporting this suspicion includes

a. heat intolerance, low-grade fever, and patchy hair loss.
  b. polycythemia, tachycardia, and oral can-didiasis.
  c. muscle cramps, fatigue, and cold intoler-ance.
  d. increased blood pressure, postural hypo-tension, and blurred vision.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ntsoane kedibone

Answer to Question 1

D
The radial pulse should be taken at the same time daily and recorded. The patient should notify the provider if the pulse is lower than the preset lower limit on the pacemaker. Battery life is longer than 2 years. Microwaves are safe to use.

Answer to Question 2

C
Older patients are seen with complaints of fatigue, cold intolerance, weight gain, muscle cramps, paresthesias, and confusion, which are symptoms of hypothyroidism that are often attributed to old age. Heat intolerance is often associated with hyperthyroidism. The other options are not re-lated to thyroid dysfunction.

pepyto

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
Wow, this really help

cassie_ragen

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Vaccines cause herd immunity. If the majority of people in a community have been vaccinated against a disease, an unvaccinated person is less likely to get the disease since others are less likely to become sick from it and spread the disease.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library