This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse determines that the daughter of a widowed older adult patient has a poor understand-ing of ... (Read 64 times)

genevieve1028

The nurse determines that the daughter of a widowed older adult patient has a poor understand-ing of the grieving process when she reports that

a. Mom is going to be okay; she is a strong, independent woman.
  b. It's been 16 months since Dad died, but Mom still hasn't moved on with her life.
  c. My mother has agreed to come and live with me for at least a little while.
  d. My mom cries when she looks at pictures of Dad, but I think she needs to cry.

Question 2

A patient with diabetes and hypothyroidism is being admitted to an assisted living facility

During the admission assessment, the patient reports difficulty falling asleep. The nurse shows an understanding of sleep dysfunction and the older patient when asking:
  a. Have you ever been prescribed a sleeping medication?
  b. How do you feel about leaving your home to live here?
  c. How long have you been a diabetic?
  d. Are you taking medication for your thy-roid problem?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lgoldst9

Answer to Question 1

B
It used to be believed that after the first anniversary of the death, grief should be resolved. This has been shown to be inaccurate; many factors influence the time for adjustment. Older persons who have experienced multiple losses may need more time. For some, the losses may never be resolved; a person may simply learn to live with the feelings of grief. In any case, the time needed for grieving is individualized.

Answer to Question 2

D
Insomnia and anxiety are problems that commonly plague older adults. Because insomnia and anxiety often occur secondary to medication side effects or secondary to medical conditions such as dementia, thyroid abnormalities, or depression, proper diagnosis and treatment of any under-lying causes of insomnia or anxiety can help this condition. The other questions are appropriate for an intake interview, but not specifically related to the insomnia.

genevieve1028

Reply 2 on: Jul 11, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

frankwu0507

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

Did you know?

The term bacteria was devised in the 19th century by German biologist Ferdinand Cohn. He based it on the Greek word "bakterion" meaning a small rod or staff. Cohn is considered to be the father of modern bacteriology.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

Though Candida and Aspergillus species are the most common fungal pathogens causing invasive fungal disease in the immunocompromised, infections due to previously uncommon hyaline and dematiaceous filamentous fungi are occurring more often today. Rare fungal infections, once accurately diagnosed, may require surgical debridement, immunotherapy, and newer antifungals used singly or in combination with older antifungals, on a case-by-case basis.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library