This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A registered nurse is caring for an older adult patient with lung cancer. The daughter, who is also ... (Read 38 times)

bclement10

A registered nurse is caring for an older adult patient with lung cancer. The daughter, who is also a nurse, asks to see the chart. What is the nurse's best response?

a. Come with me and we will look at it together.
  b. I'm sorry; this information is confidential.
  c. Let me ask my supervisor if it is okay.
  d. You should know better than to ask me that.

Question 2

The spouse of a homebound elderly patient voices a concern to the visiting nurse, I'm having a hard time getting the patient to eat a balanced diet. All the patient wants to eat are sweets.

What is the best explanation the nurse can give to the spouse? a. Maybe she has a sweet tooth.'
  b. Older adults seem to be able to taste sweet foods best.
  c. I wouldn't worry about it as long as she is eating something.
  d. She is probably getting all the nutrients that she needs.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nguyenhoanhat

Answer to Question 1

B
Do not disclose information about patients' status to other patients, family members (unless granted by the patient), or health care staff not involved in their care. Looking at it together is not acceptable because confidentiality would be broken. Asking a supervisor is inappropriate because the nurse should already know the legalities for confidentiality. Saying, You should know better than to ask me that is inappropriate and condescending.

Answer to Question 2

B
A small decrease in the number of taste cells occurs with aging, beginning around age 60 . Reduced sour, salty, and bitter taste discrimination is common. The ability to detect sweet tastes seems to remain intact. Promote sense of taste through good oral hygiene, serving well-seasoned and differently textured foods, chewing food thoroughly, and avoiding blending or mixing foods. Enhance the sense of smell by removing unpleasant odors from the environment and introducing pleasant smells such as mild room deodorizers or fragrant flowers.

bclement10

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Liamb2179

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

Eat fiber! A diet high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels by as much as 10%.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library