This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: How are biofeedback and relaxation techniques different from each ... (Read 22 times)

jlmhmf

How are biofeedback and relaxation techniques different from each other?

Question 2

Outline the main stages of autogenic relaxation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

hanadaa

Answer to Question 1

Biofeedback itself provides information about the body, but it is not a substitute for relaxation techniques, such as meditation and various breathing techniques. Once alerted to the physiological changes associated with stress from the process of biofeedback, you can use breathing, relaxation, and other approaches to intercept the stress response and relax. With practice, you can recognize stress signals without monitors and machines and take steps to return your body to homeostasis. Biofeedback training may be available through psychology or health education departments on some campuses.

Answer to Question 2

A session of autogenic relaxation typically follows six stages:

Stage 1: Heaviness. Give yourself commands such as: My right arm is heavy. Both arms are heavy. Both of my legs are very heavy, etc.

Stage 2: Warmth. Follow the same sequence of instructions: My right arm is warm. Both arms are warm, etc.

Stage 3: Heart. Focus on sensations of heaviness and warmth in the area of the heart. Repeat the following command several times: My heartbeat is strong and regular.

Stage 4: Respiration. Focus on breathing, giving yourself the following command several times: My breathing is calm and relaxed.

Stage 5: Abdomen. Focus on sensations of warmth as you repeat to yourself: My abdomen is warm. Stage 6: Forehead. Focus on sensations of coolness as you repeat: My forehead is cool.

jlmhmf

Reply 2 on: Jul 12, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Kedrick2014

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

Only 12 hours after an egg cell is fertilized by a sperm cell, the egg cell starts to divide. As it continues to divide, it moves along the fallopian tube toward the uterus at about 1 inch per day.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

On average, someone in the United States has a stroke about every 40 seconds. This is about 795,000 people per year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library