This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Identify the three characteristics of an I-message. Then write an example and explain how it ... (Read 12 times)

cherise1989

Identify the three characteristics of an I-message. Then write an example and explain how it illustrates each of the characteristics.

What will be an ideal response?

Question 2

Describe the basic idea on which all cognitive interventions are based, and then describe each of the cognitive interventions, and explain how they're related to the basic idea.

What will be an ideal response?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

GCabra

Answer to Question 1

I-messages address a behavior and describe the effects on the sender and the feelings it generates in the sender. For example, if a student has his head down on his desk, an I-message might say, Putting heads down on the desk indicates that I'm not communicating adequately, and I'm bothered when I can't communicate clearly. Many other examples would be acceptable.

Answer to Question 2

Cognitive interventions are grounded in the idea that interventions, just as with rules and procedures, should make sense to students. The cognitive interventions include the following: 1) Withitness, a teacher's awareness of what is going on in all parts of the classroom at all times, and communicating this awareness to students. If teachers catch the right one, for example, the intervention makes sense to students. 2) Consistency and follow through. If one student is reprimanded for breaking a rule and another is not, for example, students are unable to make sense of the inconsistency. 3) Congruence between verbal and nonverbal behavior. For interventions to make sense to students, verbal and nonverbal behaviors must be congruent. If they are not congruent, students will view the nonverbal behavior as more credible. 4) The use of I-Messages. Interventions that make sense to students focus on the inappropriate behavior and help students understand the effects of their actions on others. 5) Logical consequences. Logical consequences are outcomes that are conceptually related to misbehavior; they help learners make sense of an intervention by creating a link between their actions and the consequences that follow.

cherise1989

Reply 2 on: Jun 20, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

xthemafja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

The longest a person has survived after a heart transplant is 24 years.

Did you know?

In 1864, the first barbiturate (barbituric acid) was synthesized.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library