Author Question: What were the complications associated with the first membrane oxygenator developed by Clowes and ... (Read 9 times)

haleyc112

What were the complications associated with the first membrane oxygenator developed by Clowes and associates in 1956? I. leukocytopenia II. coagulopathy III. renal dysfunction IV. hemolysis

A. II, IV only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Question 2

What are the potential complications of extracorporeal life support? I. clot formation II. extensive bleeding III. hypercapnia IV. increased hemoglobin-oxygen affinity

A. I, II only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

kbennett34

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: The first membrane oxygenator was developed by Clowes and associates in 1956. However, this membrane oxygenator could not support life for more than a few hours. Common complications then were (1) thrombocytopenia, (2) coagulopathy, (3) hemolysis, and (4) renal and pulmonary dysfunction.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: Potential complications of extracorporeal life support, or extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, include clot formation and extensive bleeding caused by systemic anticoagulation and technical failure.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.