This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: What are the major advantages of using extracorporeal life support? I. increased transit time across ... (Read 7 times)

elizabeth18

What are the major advantages of using extracorporeal life support? I. increased transit time across the alveolar-capillary membrane II. decreased blood clot formation III. adequate gas exchange with less ventilatory support IV. reduced airway pressure

A. II, IV only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, II, III only
  D, II, III, IV only

Question 2

Which of the following conditions appear to have potential application of HFV to the adult population? I. pulmonary air leaks II. cardiac dysfunction III. closed head injuries IV. extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy

A. II, III only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Gabe

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: The major advantages of extracorporeal techniques are to provide adequate gas exchange with less ventilatory support, including a lower inspired O2 concentration and reduced airway pressures.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Several potential applications for HFV appear to exist. First, the reduced peak pressure and faster rate can alter ventilation distribution and improve gas exchange in patients with large pulmonary air leaks. Second, although cardiac function is generally not affected by HFV compared with conventional ventilation at a given mean airway pressure, synchronizing the HFV pressures with cardiac systole appears to benefit stroke volume in patients with severe cardiac dysfunction. Third, reduced thoracoabdominal motion during anesthesia with the use of HFV has been useful in extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy by minimizing stone motion and procedure time.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C.

elizabeth18

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Excellent

ricroger

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library