Author Question: A therapist has been recruited to be part of a transport team to move a mechanically ventilated ICU ... (Read 21 times)

pragya sharda

A therapist has been recruited to be part of a transport team to move a mechanically ventilated ICU patient for a CT scan. The therapist will provide ventilation to the patient with a self-inflating bag during the transport. What should be the therapist's concern during this time?

A. not to overventilate the patient
  B. to maintain a constant Fio2
  C. to deliver a Vt higher than on the ventilator
  D. to provide a constant inspiratory flow

Question 2

Which of the following recommendations have been made for transport ventilators by the American Hospital Association to meet the criteria for class I devices? I. have minimal gas consumption II. have variable Fio2 settings III. have at least two respiratory rate settings IV. have variable PEEP settings

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, IV only
  D. I, II, IV only

olivia_paige29

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A. Correct response: A number of studies have revealed that manual ventilation with a self-inflating bag during patient transport can lead to unintentional respiratory alkalosis. In these studies episodic hypotension and cardiac dysrhythmias were associated with a rapid decrease in Paco2 and the corresponding respiratory alkalosis. Overventilation of the patient would induce a respiratory alkalosis. Therefore the therapist must be concerned with not hyperventilating the patient.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Transport ventilators are typically simple devices having one or two controls, providing only one mode, no PEEP, and strictly an Fio2 of 1.0. The AHA has suggested that automatic transport ventilators meet the criteria for class I devices. These criteria are listed in the text on page 350.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B