This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements apply to VAP and respiratory therapy equipment? I. Patients are ... (Read 12 times)

sjones

Which of the following statements apply to VAP and respiratory therapy equipment? I. Patients are more likely to develop VAP from secretions aspirated past the ETT cuff than through the ETT. II. HMEs and heated tubing have no difference in VAP rates. III. Drugs aerosolized in-line may become contaminated by reflux of tubing condensate. IV. Closed suction systems reduce the incidence of VAP compared with open system suction catheters.

A. I, III only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Question 2

Which of the following factors facilitate aspiration? I. using muscle relaxants II. assuming a semirecumbent position III. applying endotracheal tube cuff pressures greater than 25 cm H2O IV. using small diameter feeding tubes

A. I only
  B. I, IV only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gstein359

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
B. Correct response: Ventilator tubing, humidifiers, in-line medication nebulizers, and suction catheters play a role in the development of VAP. Patients are more likely to develop VAP from secretions aspirated past the ETT cuff than through the ETT. No difference exists between heated tubing and HMEs in terms of risk of developing VAP. In-line medication nebulizers may become contaminated by reflux of tubing condensate. Closed system and open system suction catheters have the same rate of incidence of VAP.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: The endotracheal tube increases the risk of developing pneumonia. Despite the cuff of the endotracheal tube, aspiration has been detected in 20 to 77 of intubated patients. Factors that facilitate aspiration are the supine position, low endotracheal tube cuff pressure (>20 to 25 cm H2O), heavy sedation, large size feeding tubes, and muscle relaxants.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A

sjones

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

meow1234

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

The average older adult in the United States takes five prescription drugs per day. Half of these drugs contain a sedative. Alcohol should therefore be avoided by most senior citizens because of the dangerous interactions between alcohol and sedatives.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

The training of an anesthesiologist typically requires four years of college, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, and 3 years of residency.

Did you know?

It is important to read food labels and choose foods with low cholesterol and saturated trans fat. You should limit saturated fat to no higher than 6% of daily calories.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library