This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following conditions are likely to produce hypoventilation and hypercapnic respiratory ... (Read 7 times)

clmills979

Which of the following conditions are likely to produce hypoventilation and hypercapnic respiratory failure? I. inadequate respiratory center drive II. inadequate transmission of impulses to myoneural junctions III. hyperventilation and increased VT IV. respiratory muscle weakness

A. I, IV only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Question 2

Which of the following factors contribute to malnutrition of a patient with COPD while being mechanically ventilated? I. hypermetabolism II. decreased nutritional intake III. chronic inflammatory state IV. use of 2 agonist medications

A. I, II only
  B. II, III only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. I, II, III, IV

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

skipfourms123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation C.
C. Correct response: Hypercapnia is caused by hypoventilation, which results from one or more of the following causes: (1) inadequate respiratory center drive, (2) inadequate transmission of respiratory center drive to myoneural junction, and (3) respiratory muscle weakness.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation C.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
D. Correct response: The following factors contribute to malnutrition of a patient with COPD while being mechanically ventilated: (1) hypermetabolism, (2) chronic inflammatory disease, (3) increased O2 cost of breathing caused by hyperinflation and airway obstruction, (4) increased energy requirements associated with 2 agonist medications, (5) greater activity related to thermogenesis, (6) corticosteroid use leading to protein loss, and (7) decreased intake.

clmills979

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

gcook

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Thyroid conditions cause a higher risk of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library