Author Question: Which of the following mechanical ventilation strategies were used in the Acute Respiratory Distress ... (Read 24 times)

Jipu 123

Which of the following mechanical ventilation strategies were used in the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Network (ARDSnet) study? I. All patients received volume-control ventilation. II. Patients were randomized to receive either pressure- or volume-control ventilation. III. Patients were randomized to receive a VT of either 6 ml/kg or 12 ml/kg. IV. A plateau pressure of 30 cm H2O or less was targeted for patient receiving low VTs.

A. I, III only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. I, III, IV only

Question 2

The therapist is preparing to mechanically ventilate a patient using a lung protective strategy. Which of the following approaches to mechanical ventilation should be used? I. high lung volumes and high pressures II. low lung volumes and low PEEP III. permissive hypercapnia IV. high lung volumes and low pressures

A. II, III only
  B. III, IV only
  C. I, II, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

helenmarkerine

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
A. Incorrect response: All patients received volume-control ventilation, and patients were randomized to receive a VT of either 6 ml/kg or 12 ml/kg. However, those receiving low tidal volumes were ventilated at a plateau pressure of 30 cm H2O or less.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation D.
C. Incorrect response: Pressure-controlled ventilation was not included in this study.
D. Correct response: All patients with acute lung injury (ALI) were randomized to receive volume-controlled ventilation at either conventional tidal volume of 12 ml/kg or lower tidal volumes of 6 ml/kg of ideal body weight. In lower tidal volume group, the target plateau pressure was 30 cm H2O or less, and if the plateau pressure was greater than 30 cm H2O, VT was decreased to a minimum of 4 ml/kg.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: The use of low tidal volumes and low PEEP, and permissive hypercapnia constitute protective lung strategies.
B. Incorrect response: The use of high tidal volumes and low pressure contributes to VILI.
C. Incorrect response: The use of high tidal volumes with either high or low pressures is associated with VILI.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.