This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following changes in respiratory mechanics occurs when a patient switches from ... (Read 23 times)

audragclark

Which of the following changes in respiratory mechanics occurs when a patient switches from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation?

A. increased pulmonary compliance
  B. decreased mean pleural pressure
  C. decreased respiratory muscle effort
  D. decreased diaphragmatic involvement

Question 2

Which of the following hemodynamic alterations will occur when a patient transitions from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation? I. Venous return increases. II. Left ventricular afterload increases. III. Right ventricular preload decreases. IV. Cardiac output decreases.

A. I, II only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahernandez18

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: Pulmonary compliance will not be affected by the transition from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous breathing.
B. Correct response: The mean pleural pressure will decrease when a patient is switched from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation.
C. Incorrect response: Respiratory muscle effort increases when a patient assumes a greater work of breathing as occurs when a person changes from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous breathing.
D. Incorrect response: When a patient assumes an increased work of breathing such as transforming from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation, the diaphragm increases contraction to support spontaneous breathing.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: Because a decrease in pleural pressure accompanies the transition from positive-pressure ventilation (PPV) to spontaneous ventilation (SV), and because pleural pressure directly affects the right atrial pressure, venous return increases. The drop in pleural pressure also causes left ventricular afterload to increase.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

audragclark

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
Excellent

diana chang

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, more than 50 million Americans have some kind of food allergy. Food allergies affect between 4 and 6% of children, and 4% of adults, according to the CDC. The most common food allergies include shellfish, peanuts, walnuts, fish, eggs, milk, and soy.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

The horizontal fraction bar was introduced by the Arabs.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

Astigmatism is the most common vision problem. It may accompany nearsightedness or farsightedness. It is usually caused by an irregularly shaped cornea, but sometimes it is the result of an irregularly shaped lens. Either type can be corrected by eyeglasses, contact lenses, or refractive surgery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library