This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following changes in respiratory mechanics occurs when a patient switches from ... (Read 22 times)

audragclark

Which of the following changes in respiratory mechanics occurs when a patient switches from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation?

A. increased pulmonary compliance
  B. decreased mean pleural pressure
  C. decreased respiratory muscle effort
  D. decreased diaphragmatic involvement

Question 2

Which of the following hemodynamic alterations will occur when a patient transitions from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation? I. Venous return increases. II. Left ventricular afterload increases. III. Right ventricular preload decreases. IV. Cardiac output decreases.

A. I, II only
  B. I, II, III only
  C. I, III, IV only
  D. II, III, IV only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ahernandez18

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: Pulmonary compliance will not be affected by the transition from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous breathing.
B. Correct response: The mean pleural pressure will decrease when a patient is switched from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation.
C. Incorrect response: Respiratory muscle effort increases when a patient assumes a greater work of breathing as occurs when a person changes from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous breathing.
D. Incorrect response: When a patient assumes an increased work of breathing such as transforming from positive-pressure breathing to spontaneous ventilation, the diaphragm increases contraction to support spontaneous breathing.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: Because a decrease in pleural pressure accompanies the transition from positive-pressure ventilation (PPV) to spontaneous ventilation (SV), and because pleural pressure directly affects the right atrial pressure, venous return increases. The drop in pleural pressure also causes left ventricular afterload to increase.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

audragclark

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
:D TYSM

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

The first monoclonal antibodies were made exclusively from mouse cells. Some are now fully human, which means they are likely to be safer and may be more effective than older monoclonal antibodies.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library