This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements accurately describe alveolar and extra-alveolar vessels? I. ... (Read 41 times)

Collmarie

Which of the following statements accurately describe alveolar and extra-alveolar vessels? I. Pulmonary vascular resistance increases through alveolar vessels during inspiration. II. Pulmonary vascular resistance decreases throughout the extra-alveolar vessels during expiration. III. Extra-alveolar vessels behave as if they were surrounded by atmospheric pressure. IV. These two types of vessels respond in the same manner to changes in lung volume.

A. I only
  B. III only
  C. I, II only
  D. II, IV only

Question 2

Which of the following statements address the concept of ventricular interdependence? I. When the size of the right ventricle increases, the opposite side decreases. II. An increased blood volume in the right pushes the interventricular septum to the left. III. An increased blood volume in the left ventricle increases the compliance of the right chamber. IV. A larger blood volume in the right ventricle enhances left ventricular filling and stroke volume.

A. I, II only
  B. I, III only
  C. II, III, IV only
  D. I II, III only

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lin77x

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
A. Correct response: Alveolar vessels are exposed primarily to alveolar pressure. Therefore, when the lungs inflate the alveolar vessels experience an increased pulmonary vascular resistance. In other words, as alveolar volume increases, alveolar vessels are compressed; therefore pulmonary vascular resistance increases through these vessels during inspiration. On the other hand, the extra-alveolar vessels are influenced essentially by pleural pressure. Consequently, when the lungs deflate, and pleural pressure increases, the extra-alveolar vessels experience an increased pulmonary vascular resistance.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
A. Correct response: Because the right and left ventricles share the same space in the pericardium, and increase in the size, of one chamber requires a decrease in the size, shape and function of the other.
B. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation A.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation A.

lin77x

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library