This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The therapist is about to establish ventilator settings for a patient who is to receive ... (Read 31 times)

mia

The therapist is about to establish ventilator settings for a patient who is to receive pressure-controlled ventilation (PC-CMV). Which of the following control panel adjustments must the therapist make to institute this form of ventilation? I. pressure support above PEEP II. inspiratory pressure above PEEP III. inspiratory time IV. mandatory rate

A. I, II only
  B. II, III, IV only
  C. I, II, III only
  D. I, III, IV only

Question 2

Which of the following mode classifications characterize continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP)?

A. pressure controlled; time triggered; pressure limited; and time cycled
  B. pressure or volume controlled; time or patient triggered; flow or volumes limited; and time, flow, pressure, or volume cycled
  C. pressure controlled; pressure, flow, or volume triggered; pressure limited; and pressure cycled
  D. pressure controlled; patient triggered; pressure limited; and flow cycled

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

isabelt_18

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
A. Incorrect response: Pressure support ventilation involves the delivery of some level of pressure to be delivered during each spontaneous breath to overcome the work of breathing imposed on the patient by an artificial airway. Pressure support ventilation (PSV) differs from pressure-controlled ventilation (PCV) in that PSV is used only for patients who are breathing spontaneously, whereas PCV is for breaths that are patient triggered (pressure or flow) or time triggered. With PCV, the pressure remains constant throughout inspiration, and the pressure is unaffected by changes in lung compliance and airway resistance.
B. Correct response: With pressure control ventilation (PCV), the peak inspiratory pressure, mandatory rate, inspiratory time, or I:E ratio are set. An advantage of PCV is that alveolar pressure cannot exceed the set pressure. One of the goals of PCV is to avoid permitting the PIP from exceeding 30 cm H2O, thus minimizing the potential for alveolar overdistention. Inspiratory time is set during PCV. The mandatory rate is set during PCV.
C. Incorrect response: See explanation B.
D. Incorrect response: See explanation B.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
A. Incorrect response: PC-CMV is classified as pressure controlled; time triggered; pressure limited; and time cycled.
B. Incorrect response: CMV is classified as pressure or volume controlled; time or patient triggered; flow or volume limited; and time, flow, pressure, or volume cycled.
C. Correct response: CPAP is a spontaneous ventilatory mode characterized as pressure controlled; pressure, flow, or volume triggered; pressure limited; and pressure cycled. CPAP can also be classified as pressure controlled; patient triggered; pressure limited; and pressure cycled.
D. Incorrect response: Pressure support ventilation (PSV) is pressure controlled; patient triggered; pressure limited; and flow cycled.
Note that the term patient refers to the fact that the patient's effort is responsible for triggering inspiration if the trigger variable is either pressure, flow, or volume.

mia

Reply 2 on: Jul 16, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Liamb2179

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The newest statin drug, rosuvastatin, has been called a superstatin because it appears to reduce LDL cholesterol to a greater degree than the other approved statin drugs.

Did you know?

Vital signs (blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, respiration rate) should be taken before any drug administration. Patients should be informed not to use tobacco or caffeine at least 30 minutes before their appointment.

Did you know?

Hippocrates noted that blood separates into four differently colored liquids when removed from the body and examined: a pure red liquid mixed with white liquid material with a yellow-colored froth at the top and a black substance that settles underneath; he named these the four humors (for blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile).

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

Did you know?

Nearly 31 million adults in America have a total cholesterol level that is more than 240 mg per dL.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library