This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client who is placed in traction following an accident. The nurse asks the ... (Read 74 times)

evelyn o bentley

A nurse is caring for a client who is placed in traction following an accident. The nurse asks the student nurse helping with the care, about the purpose of traction. What is the best response by the student nurse about the purpose of the traction?

A) Provides strength to the body part in traction
  B) Reduces potential for skin breakdown
  C) Supports the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences
  D) Keeps the body part in proper alignment

Question 2

The nurse is using clarification with the client. Which best illustrates clarification?

A) CLIENT: My life has been one frustration after another.
  NURSE: Your life has been full of frustrations?
  B) CLIENT: I'm just a worthless old man, and no one cares about me
  NURSE: You say that as if you were very angry.
  C) CLIENT: It was really noisy here last night. It was like Grand Central Station.
  NURSE: You didn't get a very good night's sleep? What can we do to help you sleep better?
  D) CLIENT: I was in the hospital 2 years ago and I swore I would never come here again.
  NURSE: You were dissatisfied with your stay?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaillie

Answer to Question 1

D
Traction is used to keep the body part in proper alignment. It does not provide strength to the body part in traction, reduce potential for skin breakdown, or support the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences. A trapeze is used to provide strength to the arms when the client is in bed. A well-made bed reduces potential for skin breakdown. A flotation mattress supports the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences.

Answer to Question 2

D
If the nurse tells the client what he or she heard, it helps the nurse to make sure it was what the client meant. Often the person adds more to the statement or clarifies the nurse's interpretation. CLIENT: I was in the hospital 2 years ago and I swore I would never come here again. NURSE: You were dissatisfied with your stay? Reflection can be used in two ways. First, the nurse may echo the client's words, allowing the client to hear what he or she just said. In this way, the client can re-evaluate the words to determine if they expressed what he or she actually meant. CLIENT: My life has been one frustration after another. NURSE: Your life has been full of frustrations? The second way to reflect is to point out the client's behavior or attitude that seems to be underlying his or her words. CLIENT: I'm just a worthless old man, and no one cares about me NURSE: You say that as if you were very angry. Use of paraphrasing helps the nurse to clarify the interpretation of the message by restating it in other words. CLIENT: It was really noisy here last night. It was like Grand Central Station. NURSE: You didn't get a very good night's sleep? What can we do to help you sleep better?

evelyn o bentley

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Gracias!

deja

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

According to animal studies, the typical American diet is damaging to the liver and may result in allergies, low energy, digestive problems, and a lack of ability to detoxify harmful substances.

Did you know?

Illicit drug use costs the United States approximately $181 billion every year.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library