This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a client who is placed in traction following an accident. The nurse asks the ... (Read 76 times)

evelyn o bentley

A nurse is caring for a client who is placed in traction following an accident. The nurse asks the student nurse helping with the care, about the purpose of traction. What is the best response by the student nurse about the purpose of the traction?

A) Provides strength to the body part in traction
  B) Reduces potential for skin breakdown
  C) Supports the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences
  D) Keeps the body part in proper alignment

Question 2

The nurse is using clarification with the client. Which best illustrates clarification?

A) CLIENT: My life has been one frustration after another.
  NURSE: Your life has been full of frustrations?
  B) CLIENT: I'm just a worthless old man, and no one cares about me
  NURSE: You say that as if you were very angry.
  C) CLIENT: It was really noisy here last night. It was like Grand Central Station.
  NURSE: You didn't get a very good night's sleep? What can we do to help you sleep better?
  D) CLIENT: I was in the hospital 2 years ago and I swore I would never come here again.
  NURSE: You were dissatisfied with your stay?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kaillie

Answer to Question 1

D
Traction is used to keep the body part in proper alignment. It does not provide strength to the body part in traction, reduce potential for skin breakdown, or support the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences. A trapeze is used to provide strength to the arms when the client is in bed. A well-made bed reduces potential for skin breakdown. A flotation mattress supports the body to reduce pressure on bony prominences.

Answer to Question 2

D
If the nurse tells the client what he or she heard, it helps the nurse to make sure it was what the client meant. Often the person adds more to the statement or clarifies the nurse's interpretation. CLIENT: I was in the hospital 2 years ago and I swore I would never come here again. NURSE: You were dissatisfied with your stay? Reflection can be used in two ways. First, the nurse may echo the client's words, allowing the client to hear what he or she just said. In this way, the client can re-evaluate the words to determine if they expressed what he or she actually meant. CLIENT: My life has been one frustration after another. NURSE: Your life has been full of frustrations? The second way to reflect is to point out the client's behavior or attitude that seems to be underlying his or her words. CLIENT: I'm just a worthless old man, and no one cares about me NURSE: You say that as if you were very angry. Use of paraphrasing helps the nurse to clarify the interpretation of the message by restating it in other words. CLIENT: It was really noisy here last night. It was like Grand Central Station. NURSE: You didn't get a very good night's sleep? What can we do to help you sleep better?

evelyn o bentley

Reply 2 on: Jul 17, 2018
Wow, this really help

TheDev123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

Did you know?

Adolescents often feel clumsy during puberty because during this time of development, their hands and feet grow faster than their arms and legs do. The body is therefore out of proportion. One out of five adolescents actually experiences growing pains during this period.

Did you know?

A recent study has found that following a diet rich in berries may slow down the aging process of the brain. This diet apparently helps to keep dopamine levels much higher than are seen in normal individuals who do not eat berries as a regular part of their diet as they enter their later years.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library