This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient has been newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The teaching begins in the hospital with an ... (Read 30 times)

saraeharris

A patient has been newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. The teaching begins in the hospital with an interdisciplinary approach and continues with outpatient classes. However, the patient continues to state,

I know I do not need to spend my time doing all this because I will be fine once I get out from under all this stress. The barrier to learning that the nurse recognizes and must deal with is the:
  a. patient already knows all she needs to know, so more education is not necessary.
  b. patient doesn't know what she doesn't know, so the circle will continue.
  c. patient's blood sugar is keeping her from thinking clearly, so it is too soon to try to teach her.
  d. patient is in denial and that will need to be dealt with before she will accept the diagnosis and thus the education related to it.

Question 2

The nurse recognizes that, for learning to be effective, the patient must first have his or her basic and most immediate needs met. Which statement best indicates that the nurse clearly understands this principle?

a. The nurse administers pain medication to the new diabetic patient before she starts her teaching just in case the patient is in pain.
  b. Thirty minutes before the planned teaching, the nurse assesses the patient for comfort and ensures that the patient has eaten and had the opportunity to complete his bath routine.
  c. The nurse decides that conversation works best during a meal, so she plans to teach while the patient eats.
  d. The nurse asks the patient's spouse to leave before beginning the teaching.