This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: How should the following scenario be evaluated with respect to the goal of encouraging the nursing ... (Read 23 times)

NguyenJ

How should the following scenario be evaluated with respect to the goal of encouraging the nursing assistant to be accountable for learning skills?

Nursing assistant: I do not know how to use the new lifting device to get Mrs. Jackson out of bed. I missed the demonstration the other day.
  LPN/LVN charge nurse: I will ask Kay if she has time to get Mrs. Jackson out of bed with the new device while you assist. How can you prepare yourself to use the new device?
  Nursing assistant: I could watch closely when I assist Kay and ask questions. Then, I guess I could watch the videotape that came from the company and practice with a couple of the aides when they have time.
  LPN/LVN charge nurse: Good plan. I will plan to observe and evaluate your competency tomorrow afternoon.
  The scenario should be evaluated as
  a. a good example of encouraging the nursing assistant to be accountable for learning.
  b. too pushy on the part of the LPN/LVN charge nurse.
  c. placing too much responsibility on the nursing assistant.
  d. placing too much responsibility on the LPN/LVN charge nurse.
  e. condescending to the nursing assistant.

Question 2

When a resident's family complains that their mother is receiving inferior care in the extended care facility, which action should the LPN/LVN charge nurse initially take?

a. Gently explain that Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) would not permit giving inferior care.
  b. Mention that the staff is overworked and would be glad for the family's assistance.
  c. Ask the family to be specific and give examples of inferior care the mother has received.
  d. Tell the family that their reaction is based on guilt because of their need to place their mother in an extended care facility.