This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After undergoing two of nine electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) procedures, a client states, I can't ... (Read 48 times)

schs14

After undergoing two of nine electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) procedures, a client states, I can't even remember eating breakfast, so I want to stop the ECT. Which is the most appropriate nursing reply?

A. After you begin the course of treatments, you must complete all of them.
  B. You'll need to talk with your doctor about what you're thinking.
  C. It is within your right to discontinue the treatments, but let's talk about your concerns.
  D. Memory loss is a rare side effect of the treatment. I don't think it should be a concern.

Question 2

A chronically depressed and suicidal client is admitted to a psychiatric unit. The client is scheduled for electroconvulsive therapy (ECT). During the course of ECT, a nurse should recognize the continued need for which critical intervention?

A. Suicide assessment must continue throughout the ECT course.
  B. Antidepressant medications are contraindicated throughout the ECT course.
  C. Discourage expressions of hopelessness throughout the ECT course.
  D. Encourage a high-caloric diet throughout the ECT course.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aruss1303

Answer to Question 1

C
The client has the right to terminate treatment. This nursing reply acknowledges this right but focuses on the client's concerns so that the nurse can provide needed information.

Answer to Question 2

A
ECT is an intervention for major depression that often includes suicidal ideations as a symptom. Continued suicide assessment is needed because mood improvement due to ECT may cause the client to act on suicidal ideations.

schs14

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

jomama

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Disorders that may affect pharmacodynamics include genetic mutations, malnutrition, thyrotoxicosis, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's disease, and certain forms of insulin-resistant diabetes mellitus.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Medications that are definitely not safe to take when breastfeeding include radioactive drugs, antimetabolites, some cancer (chemotherapy) agents, bromocriptine, ergotamine, methotrexate, and cyclosporine.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library