This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nursing instructor is teaching students about cirrhosis of the liver. Which of the following ... (Read 34 times)

asan beg

A nursing instructor is teaching students about cirrhosis of the liver. Which of the following student statements about the complications of hepatic encephalopathy should indicate that further student teaching is needed? Select all that apply.

A. A diet rich in protein will promote hepatic healing.
  B. This condition leads to a rise in serum ammonia, resulting in impaired mental functioning.
  C. In this condition, blood accumulates in the abdominal cavity.
  D. Neomycin and lactulose are used in the treatment of this condition.
  E. This condition is caused by the inability of the liver to convert ammonia to urea.

Question 2

Which of the following nursing statements exemplify important insights that will promote effective intervention with clients diagnosed with substance use disorders? Select all that apply.

A. I am easily manipulated and need to work on this prior to caring for these clients.
  B. Because of my father's alcoholism, I need to examine my attitude toward these clients.
  C. Drinking is legal, so the diagnosis of substance use disorder is an infringement on client rights.
  D. Opiate addicts are typically uneducated, unrefined individuals who will need a lot of education and social skills training.
  E. I can fix clients diagnosed with substance use disorders as long as I truly care about them.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

EAN94

Answer to Question 1

A, C
The nursing instructor should understand that further teaching is needed if the nursing student states that a diet rich in protein will promote hepatic healing or that this condition causes blood to accumulate in the abdominal cavity (ascites), because these are incorrect statements. The treatment of hepatic encephalopathy requires abstention from alcohol, temporary elimination of protein from the diet, and reduction of intestinal ammonia by means of neomycin or lactulose. This condition occurs in response to the inability of the liver to convert ammonia to urea for excretion.

Answer to Question 2

A, B, D
The nurse should examine personal bias and preconceived negative attitudes prior to caring for clients diagnosed with substance-abuse disorders. A deficit in this area may affect the nurse's ability to establish therapeutic relationships with these clients. A nurse who adopts the attitude that he or she can fix another person may be struggling with codependency issues.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

marict

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

People who have myopia, or nearsightedness, are not able to see objects at a distance but only up close. It occurs when the cornea is either curved too steeply, the eye is too long, or both. This condition is progressive and worsens with time. More than 100 million people in the United States are nearsighted, but only 20% of those are born with the condition. Diet, eye exercise, drug therapy, and corrective lenses can all help manage nearsightedness.

Did you know?

Chronic necrotizing aspergillosis has a slowly progressive process that, unlike invasive aspergillosis, does not spread to other organ systems or the blood vessels. It most often affects middle-aged and elderly individuals, spreading to surrounding tissue in the lungs. The disease often does not respond to conventionally successful treatments, and requires individualized therapies in order to keep it from becoming life-threatening.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library