Author Question: Which response by an adolescent during the termination of outpatient substance abuse therapy ... (Read 26 times)

Chelseaamend

Which response by an adolescent during the termination of outpatient substance abuse therapy indicates the need to reevaluate the treatment plan? The adolescent:

a. says, I'm ready to get started, but I'm just a little worried..
  b. becomes tearful, and the voice quivers while saying, goodbye..
  c. says, I never thought I'd be sorry to stop coming here
  d. writes a note sharing fears of relapsing once independent.

Question 2

A patient is acutely psychotic and withdrawn. The patient claims to be a robot, stating, I can't relate to others. I have no feelings. I can't talk because I have no ideas in my head..

Acceptance is shown when the nurse remarks to this patient: a. May I sit here with you for a while?
  b. May I help you loosen up and be less rigid?
  c. I'll help you get in touch with the feelings you're trying to deny..
  d. I'll make decisions for you regarding your needs until you regain control..

kswal303

Answer to Question 1

D
Expressing doubts about readiness is also within the range of answers, but the therapist will want to work with the adolescent before termination to build support and feelings of confidence. The remaining options reflect responses within the normal range of emotional readiness to terminate.

Answer to Question 2

A
Acceptance involves giving support without making demands. Simply sitting with a patient shows acceptance.