This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement made by a nurse manager to personnel working short-staffed best reflects an ... (Read 34 times)

rayancarla1

Which statement made by a nurse manager to personnel working short-staffed best reflects an understanding of the importance of safe unit staffing?

a. If you cannot find sufficient staff, I will have to leave this unit, because it is unsafe and someone could be hurt..
  b. I cannot safely manage this unit with such a small staff. When can I expect you to send additional staffing to help?
  c. If you don't provide extra staffing immediately, I will quit and report this situation to The Joint Commission (TJC)..
  d. In order to ensure unit safety I will need additional staff. I am limiting care to priority needs only until you meet that need. My written report will document my actions..

Question 2

At a community meeting, a homeowner states, I don't want mentally ill people in the neighborhood. They're dangerous The community mental health nurse should respond:

a. Former patients need care and concern, not stigmatization..
  b. I sincerely believe your fears and concerns are really unfounded..
  c. The way you act toward former patients will determine how they act toward you..
  d. Our residents are more apt to be withdrawn and timid than aggressive or violent..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

makaylafy

Answer to Question 1

D
An assertive nurse describes the unit situation, asks clearly for what is needed, and describes interim behavior or the consequence. TJC clearly states the staffing patterns that constitute safe standards of care.

Answer to Question 2

D
The nurse's response should be aimed at dispelling the myth that mentally ill patients are dangerous and continue to be dangerous after discharge.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

In 2006, a generic antinausea drug named ondansetron was approved. It is used to stop nausea and vomiting associated with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library