Author Question: A psychiatric nurse whose area of practice is tertiary prevention of mental illness is asked to ... (Read 10 times)

cartlidgeashley

A psychiatric nurse whose area of practice is tertiary prevention of mental illness is asked to describe the focus of this type of practice. The nurse can best describe it as:

a. enriching the understanding of mental illness.
  b. preventing mental illness from occurring initially.
  c. limiting disability related to an episode of mental illness.
  d. increasing community awareness of the symptoms of mental illness.

Question 2

The nurse is writing a process recording of an interaction with a client. The nurse records the exchange that follows. Client: My brother is such a mean person.

He never has anything nice to say about me, and is always complaining that I can't do anything right. He says I'm a loser. Nurse: I know what you mean. My sister is always trying to tell me how to run my life, and it really gets me upset. Sometimes I could just scream. Analysis of the preceding exchange indicates that the nurse's part in the interaction is: a. an effective use of active listening skills to build the relationship
  b. an offer of self as a positive role model for interactions
  c. incorporating reflection as a therapeutic communication technique
  d. an inappropriate use of self-disclosure

popopong

Answer to Question 1

C
Psychiatric rehabilitation is the process of helping the person return to the highest possible level of functioning by focusing on the limiting of illness-caused disability.

Answer to Question 2

D
The nurse's discussion of her own sister is an inappropriate use of self-disclosure. The nurse has neglected to explore further the client's feelings regarding comments made to the client by her brother. The focus of the conversation should have remained on the client.