Author Question: A group of nurses are discussing a newly admitted client with schizophrenia. One of the nurses ... (Read 46 times)

ericka1

A group of nurses are discussing a newly admitted client with schizophrenia. One of the nurses states, I should have known, he's homeless They should have never closed up all the state mental facilities.

Which is the most appropriate response by an informed nurse?
  A) Most schizophrenics are homeless.
  B) Because they don't conform well to society, they prefer the freedom of being homeless.
  C) The concept of deinstitutionalizat ion is based on firm principles; the resources just haven't been allocated to make it a success.
  D) It's unfortunate his family isn't helping him. They should feel ashamed.

Question 2

A group member says to a nurse facilitator, Why don't you say something? It's not just me; there are others in this group who feel that you could do more in here..

Which statement shows the best therapeutic communication on the part of the nurse? a. So, you and others feel that I could do more in here'?
  b. You sound enraged. Let's discuss what is making you so angry with me..
  c. I don't remember the group contract requiring that I actively participate in the discussions..
  d. If I understand you correctly, you and others in this group feel that I should take a more active role in group sessions?

cclemon1

Answer to Question 1

C

Answer to Question 2

D
The most therapeutic nursing communication is the one that paraphrases and reflects back the affective domain to the group. When group members express anger or frustration with the group, it is important for the leader to give permission for the group to be angry and for the group to observe that anger does not destroy the leader.