Author Question: Alcohol is metabolized in the body to produce a toxic substance, which is further metabolized and ... (Read 36 times)

cnetterville

Alcohol is metabolized in the body to produce a toxic substance, which is further metabolized and excreted. This metabolite of alcohol is which of the following?

a. cholinesterase
  b. glyburide
  c. acetaldehyde
  d. formaldehyde

Question 2

Which patient statement is the best indication that a nurse's teaching concerning the use of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies has been effective?

a. I don't think these non-traditional treatments can help me at all..
  b. The latest studies show that kava-kava is as effective as some antidepressants..
  c. CAM therapies are often more expensive than traditional medical therapies..
  d. I'm going to discuss adding acupuncture to my depression treatment plan with my health care provider..

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

C
Alcohol is metabolized in the body to the substance acetaldehyde, which in turn is further metabolized and excreted. Acetaldehyde is a toxic substance that in large doses causes flushing, nausea, and sleepiness. It is a strongly psychoactive substance. It has been suggested that acetaldehyde may be a major link between the two most common American addictions: tobacco and alcohol.

Answer to Question 2

D
Because of the adverse effects of these strategies, it is important to teach a patient to discuss any selection of a holistic therapy with the health care provider.