Author Question: One morning, the nurse manager asks a nurse to work overtime for the fourth week in a row, saying I ... (Read 19 times)

Sufayan.ah

One morning, the nurse manager asks a nurse to work overtime for the fourth week in a row, saying I know you've done a lot of overtime, but I'm in a bind.

Can you help me out? The nurse had planned to attend a child's recital that evening. Which would be the most appropriate assertive response the nurse could give? a. I cannot work tonight. I'm sure you will agree I've worked more than my share of overtime..
  b. This isn't a good time for me to help you. It's my child's recital and the family has plans..
  c. Well, my child's recital is tonight. If I work for you this evening you'd have to give me three weekends off on this schedule..
  d. For goodness sake Am I the only one working for you? Get someone else. You are not going to take advantage of me anymore

Question 2

A nurse works in an organization that provides an integrated behavioral continuum of care. The goal of treatment in the crisis clinic is:

a. remission.
  b. recovery.
  c. stabilization.
  d. optimal level of wellness.

Pamela.irrgang@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

B
The most therapeutic communication is the one that communicates clearly what the nurse is able to do or, in this case, not to do. Assertive people are not afraid to ask for what they want or need.

Answer to Question 2

C
The goal of crisis treatment is stabilization, with the expected outcome being no harm to self or others.