Author Question: A patient's spouse asks a nurse, Why are they wasting money doing all these tests on my spouse? The ... (Read 25 times)

vinney12

A patient's spouse asks a nurse, Why are they wasting money doing all these tests on my spouse? The hallucinations and delusions make the mental illness obvious The best reply would be:

a. Don't be upset. We are using the most modern approach to caring for your spouse..
  b. I know you must be worried about costs, but having these tests is very necessary..
  c. Physical illnesses can cause psychiatric symptoms. We must be sure of what we are treating..
  d. I think that you are upset about your spouse's illness and not thinking clearly. To avoid harm, physical illness must be ruled out..

Question 2

When conducting an assessment of a client with suspected somatization disorder, a nurse may also expect to identify characteristics of which personality disorder?

A) Borderline personality disorder
  B) Antisocial personality disorder
  C) Histrionic personality disorder
  D) Avoidant personality disorder

jackie

Answer to Question 1

C
Only after a patient has been carefully screened can it be determined that the problems are amenable to psychiatric intervention. These symptoms can be a result of a physiological problem and this situation must be assessed appropriately. It is never appropriate to be disrespectful or demeaning to a patient or family members.

Answer to Question 2

C