This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The spouse of a patient diagnosed with schizophrenia asks a nurse, How will I know if my spouse ... (Read 52 times)

nmorano1

The spouse of a patient diagnosed with schizophrenia asks a nurse, How will I know if my spouse becomes psychotic? The nurse replies:

a. His behavior will become very unpredictable..
  b. Speech becomes very disorganized and inappropriate..
  c. Social skills are greatly impaired resulting in the tendency to isolate..
  d. He will demonstrate thinking and behaviors that are based in reality..

Question 2

A client is admitted to an inpatient unit after a suicide attempt and has not responded to SSRI or tricyclic antidepressants. The client asks a nurse, I heard about MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors).

Why can't they be added to what I am on now? Wouldn't adding one help? Which is the most appropriate nursing response?
  A) Electroconvulsive therapy is your best option at this point.
  B) Combined use can lead to a life-threatening condition called a hypertensive crisis.
  C) There is no reason why an MAOI couldn't be added to your therapy.
  D) They can't be used together because their mechanisms of action are very different.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tennis14576

Answer to Question 1

C
Patients with psychoses have these characteristics: regressive behavior, personality disintegration, significant reduction in the level of awareness, great difficulty in adequately functioning, and gross impairment in reality testing.

Answer to Question 2

B

nmorano1

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

TheNamesImani

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

A cataract is a clouding of the eyes' natural lens. As we age, some clouding of the lens may occur. The first sign of a cataract is usually blurry vision. Although glasses and other visual aids may at first help a person with cataracts, surgery may become inevitable. Cataract surgery is very successful in restoring vision, and it is the most frequently performed surgery in the United States.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library