Author Question: A patient is admitted to the unit and complains of being depressed. The patient says, I want to feel ... (Read 10 times)

ss2343

A patient is admitted to the unit and complains of being depressed. The patient says, I want to feel like my old self again.. Which nursing response will be most therapeutic?

a. How long have you felt this way?
  b. We're all here to help you get better..
  c. What do you think the hospital can do for you?
  d. Tell me more so that I can better understand..

Question 2

A patient admitted with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, paranoid type, coldly tells a nurse during the admission interview, I am here because my family brought me here and locked me up.. The nurse's best response would be:

a. How has hospitalization affected your life?
  b. Do you feel angry or resentful about being hospitalized?
  c. I see you are angry about being here. I hope that after we talk you will feel differently..
  d. We are here to protect you and see that you do not harm yourself or others in your anger..

wilsonbho

Answer to Question 1

D
When a patient initially offers psychiatric symptoms as the reason for admission, the nurse will want to ask for clarification and elaboration to better understand the life experiences of the patient. Understanding fosters empathy, empathic remarks lead the patient to feel understood, and this understanding paves the way for the therapeutic nurse-patient partnership.

Answer to Question 2

C
It is appropriate to acknowledge the angry or otherwise negative feelings of a patient who has not voluntarily sought treatment. Feeling understood by the nurse paves the way for a therapeutic relationship.