This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse caring for a client with severe dementia has assessed the client's level of pain as ... (Read 24 times)

lidoalex

The nurse caring for a client with severe dementia has assessed the client's level of pain as moderate
  and has provided pain relief medication.

An hour after the medication is administered, reassessment
  suggests that the client is still in pain. The best action for the nurse to take would be to
  a. seek an order for additional analgesia.
  b. reposition the client.
  c. offer oral intake.
  d. give adjuvant medication.

Question 2

A grieving client tells the nurse It has been 8 months since my husband died. I thought I would be
  feeling better by this time, but lately I have felt worse. I have no energy. I feel lonely, but I do not
  want to be around people.

What should I do? The best counsel would be to
  a. attend a bereavement group.
  b. become active in a church.
  c. seek psychotherapy.
  d. understand this is normal.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Galvarado142

Answer to Question 1

B
Repositioning the client offers an opportunity to provide a simple, yet often effective, comfort
measure. Another tip is to ensure the patency of the indwelling catheter if the client has one.
Blocked urine flow can create pain associated with a distended bladder. Options A and D: Seeking
additional or adjuvant medication an hour after analgesic administration is not advised. Option C:
Oral intake may not be feasible because many clients with severe dementia have difficulty
swallowing.

Answer to Question 2

D
The client needs understanding and support that her feelings are normal. Although feelings of
depression generally decline over the period of a year after the death of a loved one, the decline is
not linear. Loneliness and aimlessness are most pronounced 6 to 9 months after the death. The client
should be given this and other information about phenomena experienced during bereavement if she
has not already received it. If it has been previously given, the information should be reinforced and
the client given understanding and support. The other options are not clearly indicated.

lidoalex

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Bacteria have flourished on the earth for over three billion years. They were the first life forms on the planet.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library