Author Question: A client tells the nurse that My sister just never picks up colds or other illnesses that go around ... (Read 54 times)

elizabeth18

A client tells the nurse that My sister just never picks up colds or other illnesses that go around
  each year. The only difference between the two of us is that she is highly involved in her church,
  while I'm not very spiritual..

The reply that shows the best understanding of psychoimmunology is
  a. It is probably just a coincidence..
  b. No correlation between spirituality and wellness exists..
  c. Studies have shown that spiritual practices can enhance immune system
  function..
  d. The mind and body are closely interrelated, so what you say may be true..

Question 2

A client who is a rape victim perplexedly asks the emergency department nurse How can I
  determine if I was at fault for what happened to me? The therapeutic intervention the nurse should
  use is to

a. reassure that the outcome of the situation will be positive.
  b. support the client as she separates issues of vulnerability from blame.
  c. pose questions about the rape, using the adverb why whenever possible.
  d. make decisions for the client because she is perplexed and confused.

mrphibs

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Studies have shown a positive correlation between spiritual practices and enhanced immune system
function and sense of well-being. The other options downplay current research showing that spiritual
practices can enhance the immune system.

Answer to Question 2

B
Although the victim may have made choices that made her vulnerable, she is not to blame for the
rape. This thinking allows the victim to begin to restore a sense of control. This is a positive
response to victimization. Option A does not permit the victim to begin to restore a sense of control.
Option C suggests the use of a nontherapeutic communication technique. Option D does not permit
the victim to restore control.