This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client states I'm going to be engaging in cognitive therapy. What can I expect from the sessions? ... (Read 48 times)

ARLKQ

A client states I'm going to be engaging in cognitive therapy. What can I expect from the
  sessions?

Which responses by the nurse would be appropriate? (More than one answer may be
  correct.)
  A. The therapist will be active and questioning..
  B. You may be given homework assignments..
  C. The therapist will help you look at ideas and beliefs you have about yourself..
  D. The goal is to increase your subjectivity about the thoughts that govern your behavior..

Question 2

The nurse should be particularly alert to somatization of psychological distress among clients whose
  cultural beliefs include the idea that (more than one answer may be correct)

A. mental illness reflects badly on a family.
  B. mental illness is a significant moral weakness.
  C. everyone should plan for the future.
  D. mind, body, and spirit are merged.
  E. intergenerational conflict is to blame.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

reelove4eva

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A, B, C
Rationale: Option A: Cognitive therapists are active rather than passive during therapy sessions
because they help clients reality test their thinking. Option B: Homework assignments are given and
are completed outside the therapy sessions. Homework is usually discussed at the next therapy
session. Option C: The goal of cognitive therapy is to assist the client in identifying inaccurate
cognitions and in reality testing and formulating new, accurate cognitions. Option D: The desired
outcome of cognitive therapy is to assist the client in increasing his or her objectivity, not
subjectivity, about the cognitions that influence behavior.

Answer to Question 2

ANS:
A, B, D
Rationale: Physical symptoms are seen as more acceptable in cultural groups in which
interdependence and harmony of the group are emphasized. Mental illness is often perceived as
reflecting a failure of the entire family. In groups in which mental illness is seen as a moral
weakness and both the individual and family are stigmatized, somatization of mental distress is
better accepted. In groups in which mind, body, and spirit are holistically perceived, somatization of
psychological distress is readily effected. Option C: Somatization is seen among clients with both
future and present orientation to time. Option E: Intergenerational conflict has not been noted as a
risk factor for somatization.

ARLKQ

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

DylanD1323

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

The National Institutes of Health have supported research into acupuncture. This has shown that acupuncture significantly reduced pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee, when used as a complement to conventional therapies.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library