Author Question: At the well-child clinic the nurse notices that a 26-month-old boy is displaying negative behavior. ... (Read 79 times)

lidoalex

At the well-child clinic the nurse notices that a 26-month-old boy is displaying negative behavior.
  His mother relates that he refuses to have anything to do with toilet training and often shouts no
  when given direction.

His mother asks what might be the matter with her son. On the basis of
  knowledge of growth and development, the nurse should reply
  a. He is behaving normally for his age. He is striving for independence..
  b. He needs firmer control. He should be scolded when he tells you no' and is
  defiant..
  c. I suspect he has a serious developmental problem because most children are
  toilet trained by the age of 2 years..
  d. He seems to be developing some undesirable attitudes. A child psychologist
  might be able to help you develop a remedial plan..

Question 2

A client comes to the emergency department with the chief symptom of I'm hearing voices telling
  me that someone is stalking me. They want to kill me because I have developed a cure for cancer..

The client tells the nurse that he carries a knife and will stab anyone he thinks is a threat to him.
  Which aspects of mental health should be of greatest immediate concern to the nurse? (More than
  one answer may be correct.)
  A. Happiness
  B. Appraisal of reality
  C. Control over behavior
  D. Effectiveness in work
  E. Healthy self-concept

batool

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Options B, C, and D all indicate the child's behavior is abnormal when, in fact, this behavior is
typical of a child around the age of 2 years whose developmental task is to develop autonomy.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B, C, E
Rationale: The aspects of mental health of greatest concern are the client's appraisal of and his
control over behavior. His appraisal of reality is inaccurate. He has auditory hallucinations,
delusions of persecution, and delusions of grandeur. In addition, the client's control over behavior is
tenuous, as evidenced by his plan to stab anyone who seems threatening. A healthy self-concept is
lacking, as evidenced by the delusion of grandeur. Data are not present to suggest that the other
aspects of mental health (happiness option A and effectiveness in work option D) are of
immediate concern.