This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse at the mental health center prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol ... (Read 60 times)

Melani1276

A nurse at the mental health center prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to a patient with schizophrenia.

As the nurse swabs the site, the patient shouts, Stop, stop. I don't want to take that medicine anymore because I hate the side effects. Select the nurse's first action.
  a. Assemble other staff for a show of force and proceed with the injection, using restraint if necessary.
  b. Stop the medication administration procedure and say to the patient, Tell me more about the side effects you've been having.
  c. Proceed with the injection but explain to the patient that there are medications that will help reduce the unpleasant side effects.
  d. Say to the patient, Since I've already drawn the medication in the syringe, I'm required to give it, but let's talk to the doctor about delaying next month's dose.

Question 2

The nurse is told that a patient with disorganized schizophrenia is being admitted to the unit. The nurse should expect the patient to demonstrate:

a. highly suspicious, delusional behavior.
  b. extremes of motor activity and excitement to stupor.
  c. social withdrawal and ineffective communication.
  d. severe anxiety and ritualistic behavior.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

LP

Answer to Question 1

B
Patients with mental illness retain their civil rights unless there is clear, cogent, and convincing evidence of dangerousness. The patient in this situation presents no evidence of dangerousness. The nurse, an as advocate and educator, should seek more information about the patient's decision and should not force the medication.

Answer to Question 2

C
Patients with disorganized schizophrenia demonstrate the most regressed and socially impaired behaviors of the schizophrenias. Communication is often incoherent, with inappropriate giggling and loose associations predominating. Suspiciousness and delusions relate more to paranoid schizophrenia; dominant motor symptoms are suggestive of catatonic schizophrenia. Anxiety and ritualistic behavior are seen in obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Melani1276

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

carlsona147

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Asthma occurs in one in 11 children and in one in 12 adults. African Americans and Latinos have a higher risk for developing asthma than other groups.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

The first-known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used in Egypt in 2000 BC. Condoms were also reportedly used, made of animal bladders or intestines.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library