This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to an ... (Read 35 times)

jlmhmf

A nurse prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to an outpatient with schizophrenia. As the nurse swabs the site, the patient shouts, Stop I don't want to take that medicine anymore. I hate the side effects.

Select the nurse's best action.

a. Assemble other staff for a show of force and proceed with the injection, using restraint if necessary.
  b. Stop the medication administration procedure and say to the patient, Tell me more about the side effects you've been having.
  c. Proceed with the injection but explain to the patient that there are medications that will help reduce the unpleasant side effects.
  d. Say to the patient, Since I've already drawn the medication in the syringe, I'm required to give it, but let's talk to the doctor about delaying next month's dose.

Question 2

Which patient meets criteria for involuntary hospitalization for psychiatric treatment? The patient who:

a. is noncompliant with the treatment regimen.
  b. fraudulently files for bankruptcy.
  c. sold and distributed illegal drugs.
  d. threatens to harm self and others.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

courtney_bruh

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Patients with mental illness retain their civil rights unless there is clear, cogent, and convincing evidence of dangerousness. The patient in this situation presents no evidence of dangerousness. The nurse, as an advocate and educator, should seek more information about the patient's decision and not force the medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Involuntary hospitalization protects patients who are dangerous to themselves or others and cannot care for their own basic needs. Involuntary commitment also protects other individuals in society. The behaviors described in the other options are not sufficient to require involuntary hospitalization.

jlmhmf

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

Zebsrer

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library