This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to an ... (Read 36 times)

jlmhmf

A nurse prepares to administer a scheduled injection of haloperidol decanoate (Haldol depot) to an outpatient with schizophrenia. As the nurse swabs the site, the patient shouts, Stop I don't want to take that medicine anymore. I hate the side effects.

Select the nurse's best action.

a. Assemble other staff for a show of force and proceed with the injection, using restraint if necessary.
  b. Stop the medication administration procedure and say to the patient, Tell me more about the side effects you've been having.
  c. Proceed with the injection but explain to the patient that there are medications that will help reduce the unpleasant side effects.
  d. Say to the patient, Since I've already drawn the medication in the syringe, I'm required to give it, but let's talk to the doctor about delaying next month's dose.

Question 2

Which patient meets criteria for involuntary hospitalization for psychiatric treatment? The patient who:

a. is noncompliant with the treatment regimen.
  b. fraudulently files for bankruptcy.
  c. sold and distributed illegal drugs.
  d. threatens to harm self and others.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

courtney_bruh

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Patients with mental illness retain their civil rights unless there is clear, cogent, and convincing evidence of dangerousness. The patient in this situation presents no evidence of dangerousness. The nurse, as an advocate and educator, should seek more information about the patient's decision and not force the medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Involuntary hospitalization protects patients who are dangerous to themselves or others and cannot care for their own basic needs. Involuntary commitment also protects other individuals in society. The behaviors described in the other options are not sufficient to require involuntary hospitalization.

jlmhmf

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

Laurenleakan

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

There are major differences in the metabolism of morphine and the illegal drug heroin. Morphine mostly produces its CNS effects through m-receptors, and at k- and d-receptors. Heroin has a slight affinity for opiate receptors. Most of its actions are due to metabolism to active metabolites (6-acetylmorphine, morphine, and morphine-6-glucuronide).

Did you know?

Atropine, along with scopolamine and hyoscyamine, is found in the Datura stramonium plant, which gives hallucinogenic effects and is also known as locoweed.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library