This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient with acute mania has been verbally abusive to staff since admission 3 hours ago. The ... (Read 194 times)

Coya19@aol.com

A patient with acute mania has been verbally abusive to staff since admission 3 hours ago. The patient says, I can't believe you have a nursing license. I am not answering your stupid questions. You should pick another career..

Select the nurse's best response. a. I will return in a few minutes to continue the interview..
  b. Your behavior is unacceptable. I expect an apology from you..
  c. I will have to report your behavior to the health care provider..
  d. I have a license to practice nursing, and I am entirely competent..

Question 2

In which case would the psychiatric forensic nurse examiner assess the alleged perpetrator as competent to proceed with trial?

a. The defendant believes the FBI had paid assassins to kill him.
  b. The accused hears voices commanding him to kill the president.
  c. The defendant is developmentally disabled with an IQ of 70.
  d. The accused understands the charges and the trial procedures.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Sarahjh

Answer to Question 1

A
Angry verbal attacks against staff by patients with mania are commonplace. Staff must realize verbal attacks are part of illness behavior rather than personal in nature. Arguing, explaining, and calling for apologies are counterproductive behaviors. Remaining neutral and allowing a cooling-down period will serve the nurse well. Because the patient's mood is labile, the patient may be willing to continue the assessment when the nurse returns.

Answer to Question 2

D
Competence to proceed is determined by the defendant's ability to understand the charges and assist in his own defense. The other options suggest mental disorder but are not necessarily pertinent to competency unless they prevent understanding of the charges and meaningful participation in the trial process.

Coya19@aol.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

dantucker

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Today, nearly 8 out of 10 pregnant women living with HIV (about 1.1 million), receive antiretrovirals.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library