This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient presents in crisis. She tells the nurse, I cannot take it anymore It has to stop. Last ... (Read 20 times)

pragya sharda

A patient presents in crisis. She tells the nurse, I cannot take it anymore It has to stop. Last year my husband had an affair, and we do not communicate anymore.

Three months ago I found a lump in my breast, and yesterday my 20-year-old daughter told me she is quitting college and moving to another state with her boyfriend.. The nurse can make the assessment that crisis intervention is successful when the patient: a. resolves her grief regarding the actual and potential losses in her life.
  b. permits others to make decisions for her until her anxiety is reduced.
  c. develops a higher degree of resilience to use when facing future crises.
  d. learns to respond more calmly and logically in crisis situations.

Question 2

An obese woman is seen in the emergency department complaining of headaches. Her blood pressure is 150/92 . Also present are her 4-year-old son and 2-year-old daughter.

When the nurse offers to call a family member to pick up the children, the woman states that they are living alone in a women's shelter. What is the most appropriate action for the nurse to take? a. Instruct the client on proper nutrition and educate her regarding the dangers of hypertension.
  b. Make a referral for the client to a weight loss center.
  c. Assist the client to plan better coping strategies.
  d. Assess the family's daily living needs and consult social work for community resources.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

morganmarie791

Answer to Question 1

A
When a person's crisis centers on actual or potential losses, the patient is dealing with actual or anticipatory grief. Although the actual or threatened losses increase anxiety as well, successful resolution of the crisis depends on resolving the grief she is experiencing. Permitting others to assume decision making increases dependency and is rarely a strategy in crisis intervention. Enhancing resilience is always desirable but is not required to resolve the present crisis. Learning to respond more calmly when under stress would seem helpful but is not fundamental to resolving a crisis situation.

Answer to Question 2

D
It is crucial to learn about the client's living conditions and work within the reality of their situation. Instruction on nutrition and health practices and development of coping strategies cannot be addressed until basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter are met.

pragya sharda

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

EAN94

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

Prostaglandins were first isolated from human semen in Sweden in the 1930s. They were so named because the researcher thought that they came from the prostate gland. In fact, prostaglandins exist and are synthesized in almost every cell of the body.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library