This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client in an alcohol rehabilitation program tells the nurse, I've been such a loser all my life I ... (Read 49 times)

Garrulous

A client in an alcohol rehabilitation program tells the nurse, I've been such a loser all my life I feel so ashamed for what I have put my family through Now I am in rehab and I am not sure I can stay sober.

What nursing diagnosis would be most appropriate? 1. Self-Esteem Disturbance
  2. High Risk for Violence
  3. Powerlessness
  4. Alteration in Health Maintenance

Question 2

Which statement made by a nurse indicates an understanding of the basic premises of psychobiology?

1. All mental disorders can now be fully classified and cured with biological interventions.
  2. By focusing on the biologic sciences, we will diminish the art of psychiatricmental health nursing.
  3. Because of the advances in psychobiology, the role of psychiatricmental health nurses focuses primarily on medication monitoring.
  4. Genetics, immunology, biorhythms, brain structure, and brain biochemistry all influence mental disorders.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

CourtneyCNorton

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Self-Esteem Disturbance is indicated when the client views the self as inadequate. Powerlessness would refer to the client's inability to control alcohol use. Alterations in Health Maintenance would refer to a client's inability to adhere to a treatment regimen. High Risk for Violence would refer to a client who is aggressive and a danger to self or others.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Psychobiologic theory is growing rapidly and encompasses fields such as genetics, immunology, and brain chemistry and structure. Nurses do not give up humanistic, psychosocial, and interactional premises simply because of the breakthroughs being made in psychobiology. The psychobiologic model uses classification but also includes notions that the disease follows a predictable course, not necessarily cure. To bring a contemporary holistic perspective to care, nurses must integrate knowledge of psychobiology with social and humanistic knowledge.

Garrulous

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Excellent

Animal_Goddess

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Earwax has antimicrobial properties that reduce the viability of bacteria and fungus in the human ear.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library