This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: In working with a preschool-age child, which intervention would be considered as part of an ... (Read 17 times)

09madisonrousseau09

In working with a preschool-age child, which intervention would be considered as part of an effective plan for time-outs?

1. Identify in advance, situations that lead to anger
  2. Explanations are not important to the child who is out of control
  3. Length of time depends upon how long it takes the child to calm down
  4. Incorporate a token economy

Question 2

A client who is being discharged offers the nurse a ceramic bowl made during hospitalization as a symbol of the open vessel the client has become for accepting new ideas. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. This is a beautiful gesture, I will place it in the day room for everyone to enjoy.
  2. I wish I could accept this, but you know I'm not allowed to.
  3. Let me pay you for this. I don't feel I should just accept it after all the hard work you put into it.
  4. You worked very hard on becoming receptive to new ideas this past month; I would be honored to accept this symbol of your progress.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Briannahope

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: When children cannot behave in acceptable ways, they can take a time-out from the activity by sitting in a chair until they are able to pull themselves together. The use of behavioral interventions on inpatient units allows nursing staff to give continuous feedback to the children about the appropriateness of their behavior. As the child calms down, help the child see why the time-out was needed and what can be done differently next time. The goals are to have children learn what precedes episodes during which they lose control and learn ways to avoid the negative consequences of out-of-control behavior. Such behavior may or may not be anger-oriented. A token economy is not part of time-out planning.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Gifts are most often given during the termination phase of one-to-one relationships. It is appropriate to accept a gift if feelings and the motive for giving the gift have been clarified. Placing a breakable object in the day room of an inpatient unit is inappropriate due to safety risks. Refusing to accept the gift is a personal choice the nurse could make; however, the client may feel disappointed and rejected by this refusal. Paying the client for any item is discouraged and usually against hospital policy.

09madisonrousseau09

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

upturnedfurball

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

For about 100 years, scientists thought that peptic ulcers were caused by stress, spicy food, and alcohol. Later, researchers added stomach acid to the list of causes and began treating ulcers with antacids. Now it is known that peptic ulcers are predominantly caused by Helicobacter pylori, a spiral-shaped bacterium that normally exist in the stomach.

Did you know?

Complications of influenza include: bacterial pneumonia, ear and sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic conditions such as asthma, congestive heart failure, or diabetes.

Did you know?

The eye muscles are the most active muscles in the whole body. The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job they have to do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library