Author Question: Your client states, I haven't left my house for six years. The nurse knows that the most helpful ... (Read 48 times)

abern

Your client states, I haven't left my house for six years. The nurse knows that the most helpful theory for dealing with this problem would come from the:

1. Behavioral theorists.
  2. Humanistic theorists.
  3. Genetic theorists.
  4. Psychosocial theorists.

Question 2

When speaking with a client who has a mental illness, the nurse uses medical terminology and is condescending. This type of behavior negates the basic rules of negotiating a behavioral contract and:

1. Encourages the client to ask questions.
  2. Causes the client to feel uncomfortable with the contract.
  3. Appropriately introduces the client to important terminology.
  4. Helps the client understand behavioral contracts on his/her terms.

mathjasmine

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Behavioral theorists would most likely use behavior modification for this client's agoraphobia. Genetic theorists believe in a familial predisposition toward anxiety disorders. Humanistic theorists believe one must look at how all theories interact with each other. Psychosocial theorists believe that anxiety is a repression of a fear of expressing forbidden impulses.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The basic rules for negotiating a behavioral contract include engaging the client as a colleague, avoiding complex terminology or coercive formats, and making sure the client completely understands, agrees to, and, to the extent possible, feels comfortable with the contract. The nurse's condescending attitude will not encourage the client to ask questions. Complex or medical terminology will not help the client understand the contract.