Author Question: A high school nurse is sharing the results of a national survey with school faculty and staff. ... (Read 48 times)

Yi-Chen

A high school nurse is sharing the results of a national survey with school faculty and staff.

The nurse states that, if the students in their school are similar to those surveyed, close to one out of five have seriously considered suicide in the: 1. Springtime.
  2. Winter months.
  3. Past year.
  4. 3 months preceding the survey.

Question 2

A client is pacing in the hall. The nurse overhears the client say, Leave me alone. I am not in the Mafia. The best response from the nurse would be:

1. Remember you are safe from the Mafia here in the hospital.
  2. Tell me what you are hearing right now.
  3. You need to attend the next recreation group. That will help you ignore the voices.
  4. You are hearing voices again, right?

SVictor

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: A nationwide survey of youth in grades 9 through 12 in public and private schools in the United States found that 15 of students reported seriously considering suicide and 7 reported trying to take their own life in the 12 months preceding the survey.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Tell me what you are hearing right now is an open statement that allows the client to inform the nurse what is being experienced. The nurse does not presume to know what the client is experiencing. You are hearing voices again, right? presumes to know what the client is experiencing without asking the patient directly. You need to attend the next recreation group. That will help you ignore the voices does not ask for an explanation of the client's experiences and implies that a client can ignore voices. Remember you are safe from the Mafia here in the hospital does not ask for an explanation of the client's experiences, so may not be addressing the client's needs at this time. This is an example of false reassurance.